CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

NO Crunchy Stuff!!!




I thought I would let everyone celebrate with us on surviving a 3year old's tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Andrew spent valentine's day in the hospital with his true sweetheart (mom) and no tonsills. Andrew did great! He didn't complain about being woken up at 5:30 am from a warm bed, only to be carried to a cold car. He walked into the hospital pre-op area, reluctantly agreed on wearing the crusty hospital gown, and even let someone else carry him to the O.R. Even after the surgery he wowed the nurses on how much drool he could produce and how many popsicles he could eat before brain freeze set in. Once he had slept off all the anesthesia, had a little tylenol codine in his system we spent the wee hours of the morning playing trains in the children's unit playroom and riding (silently) up and down the halls on a big wheel. I got very good at carrying an I.V. pole up and down the hallway. Once we were home he did great. He loved having grandma and grandpa Dunyon and his sunbeam teachers come visit him. He especially loved showing off the black hole at the back of his throat once occupied by ginormous balls of tonsils, and telling people, "I can't eat crunchy stuff." So now it has been a week and a half of eating nothing but pudding, gatoraide, and popsicles (Andrew doesn't like Jell=O). He is ready to step it up and have crunchy stuff. Hopefully he will quickly put back on the 5 1/2 pounds he lost. (He is a whopping 27.8 lbs now!!!) and be able to resist Ryan's 25 lb running tackle. Thank you to all my family who called, and loved on my baby.

3 little notes:

Wendy said...

It's good to see him up and running. It's amazing how resiliant children are. I think the black hole would be amazing to look at - got any pictures? Just kidding. Glad to hear you're all doing well and hopefully getting back to normal. I'm even considering getting mine taken out - especially since it means losing 5 lbs. or more and a diet including popsicles, pudding, etc.

Unknown said...

So I am starting the Andrew diet today, what was it...popsicles and pudding, I can totally do that! I'm glad he is getting back to crunchy stuff...that's the best stuff anyway...cheetos here you come!

Brooke and Aaron said...

What a sweet boy. I'm glad that it went smoothly. We love you guys.