CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Scoutmaster, Snowman, & Sitting up!


We're alive! We enjoy reading everyone else's posts so much that we forget to post too! Here is a re-cap of January...


We traveled through this

like this

to get away from the snow for a couple of days and hung out with Jenny and Jill's families in Vegas during New Year's. We went to the Children's Museum

and then threw a great party for Aaron's birthday. Emma and Heidi cried when we had to leave their house. Thanks for being such great hosts!!

Now that we're somewhat settled, I've started teaching piano and I now realize how much I've missed it for the past couple of years. Emma wants piano lessons too..I wonder whether she just wants the candy at the end of the lesson or if she's really interested in playing..Maybe a little bit of both.

Aaron was called to be 2nd Counselor & Scoutmaster in the Young Men's. Of course he is happy to serve, even though we've come to find out that these two callings are pretty time consuming. (I have a new-found appreciation for all of those wives whose husbands have served in bishoprics, Elder's Quorum, and other busy callings.) He works 60+ hours a week, and thankfully we still have time to be together as a family, which is always the most important thing. The girls ask every day if "Daddy is going to stay in bed tomorrow" (Translation: Is it Saturday yet?) because that's their big day with him each week. I'm so grateful for Aaron's example for our children. I hope they each develop his desire to serve and his strong work ethic! He is the best husband and father ever!

For Christmas, Grandma and Grandpa Nielsen got us tickets to see The Lion King show in Las Vegas so we drove down to meet them for that.

It was a quick weekend but really fun to see the Nielsen side of the family. The last day we were there, Grace started sitting up on her own for the first time. I guess she just needed a big audience to do it! She thinks she's pretty cool! Now she's into rocking on her knees. I think we'll have a crawler on our hands soon! Time to dust off the baby gate! …I guess I’ll have to ask the barbies if they’ll share their “castle”.

This snow is a bit cold for our California blooded, but the kids loved making their first snowman (for some reason we just never got around to that until now),
having Daddy pull them on the sled, and of course making snow angels. Heidi loved riding the sled and Emma didn’t mind pulling, so they were a good match! Good thing Santa brought us scarves, sleds, and snow pants. They are sure coming in handy!




It feels like this video below of Emma and Heidi just happened yesterday. They are two peas in a pod! I still stand by my feeling that having a sibling is one of the best gifts a child can receive. I walked in on this the other day..Emma loves to "mother" everyone and Heidi loves to be "cared for" so it works out well.



Aaron was given tickets to the Jazz game in the lower bowl. It was a great game against Sacramento and I think a well-deserved break for Aaron to have a guys’ night with some of his co-workers.

We've finally pulled Aaron's power tools out of storage and started framing the basement bathroom and we hope it will be ready for our guests by the end of the summer. We're also switching out our door casings, baseboards and are casing the windows in and look forward to seeing it all put together! We’ll post pictures when we’re done.
It's so fun to have our own place that we can personalize however we see fit! Good thing I married a builder!...I love my handy-man and our silly girls!


~Brooke

10 little notes:

Mark and Shauna said...

CUTE post... love all the pictures and video. We were at that Jazz game too... my mom and Robert gave us their tickets for that game... it was a blast!
Your 3 girls are just beautiful! It's CRAZY how quickly time flies... I still remember holding Emma when she was just a newborn... it's scary how fast time goes!

We need to get together sometime soon!

Sarah said...

What a cute post! I love all the pictures. Grace is getting so big. Glad you guys had a great January!

Ashlee said...

Brooke, You have the most adorable girls! It was fun to read this new post and see what you guys have been up to! You have been an extremely busy woman. I loved seeing all the pictures of the girls and the videos! You are such a great mom and special friend! I miss you tons Brooke!
PS. Maybe you could teach me to be a better piano player. I need some help and I know that you are awesome at playing!

Gray Family said...

I just loved loved loved reading this post. I miss our little girls so much, I just laughed out loud at the picture of Emma "feeding" Heidi. I bet you are giggling all day. What fun girls! I wish we all lived closer, but the blog is a great
2nd best. Thanks for the pictures and update! Love you all!

Matt and Jill said...

I'm so glad you posted all those pictures and video! It makes me feel like I'm there with you a little bit peeking in on the girls playing. It's a sign of a good mom that they enjoy being together so much. I'm so glad you came for New Year's and Aaron's birthday...that could be a fun tradition!

Allison Nielsen said...

Such a fun update! I've read it through several times & especially loved the videos. Great pictures, darling family! I know this wasn't easy to find time to post this, but we sure appreicate it! Love our little granddaughters & their parents! Hugs!

Carrie Braunalicious said...

Hi Brooke! Glad to see things are good- we miss you! The girls are too cute- I can't believe that you announced your pregnancy just before you moved (or maybe just after?) and now Grace is here and sitting up and too adorable. Th picture of the three of them in the back of the car is priceless. You look gorgeous in your Christmas picture. Hope to see you soon!

Ali said...

What a wonderful update! Crazy that your tiny baby is so close to crawling already!? Didn't she just come into this world?? I love the "Daddy staying in bed, Saturday" story- so sweet. We are so lucky to have such good daddies to our children :)

The Trotter Family said...

Yay Brooke! It is so good to hear from you. Look at those girls growing up so fast! I can't believe you have three. Grace is so cute. I think she looks like both Heidi and Emma combined. How funny! Looks like you guys are doing great. You will have to post on here more often. We miss you guys tons!

Kristyn said...

Hey, I love it when you guys update! Guess I should check my google reader more often! :) Did you just love Lion King? It's the best. And how exciting Grace is sitting up! Hopefully we'll be right behind you soon! And wow, you're already getting on with the basement project - that's awesome. It's true, it is sooo nice having a handyman for a husband. Saves so much time and money. Kay maybe not time, but definitely money. Good to "see" you guys again! And bummer we didn't hang out in Vegas, but next time we're in Utah we'll try to make it work!